Alternative Treatment for Chronic Pain
Alternative therapy refers to the treatment of an ailment or medical condition that doesn’t follow conventional methods. Many people would rather try an alternate form of treating their chronic pain before turning to prescription drugs, surgery, and other options recommended by medical providers.
When you’re struggling with chronic pain, it can interfere with every aspect of your life. It’s harder to work, take care of yourself and your family, and complete routine tasks. Living with this pain is an ongoing source of stress and frustration. Choosing to undergo an invasive surgical procedure for back pain or taking narcotics for your persistent migraines might not be the option you want to take right now.
If you’re interested in learning about alternative medicine and how it could help you with your chronic pain, keep reading below.
Common Types of Alternative Therapies
You can choose from a range of different alternative methods to treat your chronic pain. It’s critical that you speak with your pain management doctor before beginning any type of regimen. Not every form of treatment will work, and some could even do more harm than good.
Depending on the type of pain you have, the most common types of alternative therapies include:
- Exercise. Physical activity isn’t necessarily a cure or treatment for all types of pain, but it provides many benefits. It can improve mobility, boost your mood, and relieve some of the symptoms you’re experiencing. Adding regular exercise to another type of alternative treatment could help with your chronic pain.
- Chiropractic manipulation. People with low back pain may find relief from chiropractic treatments. The chiropractor manipulates the spinal column to restore range of motion and minimize pressure on the nerves that causes inflammation and pain.
- Vitamins and supplements. Some people are opposed to taking controlled substances and other medications. If you’re looking for a more natural approach, you could take dietary supplements or vitamins to manage your chronic pain. Topical capsaicin could help relieve diabetic nerve pain, arthritis, and other similar conditions. Fish oil has been shown to reduce swelling. Glucosamine could benefit people with osteoarthritis in the knee by relieving moderate to severe pain.
- Acupuncture. Although acupuncture was once seen by Western medicine as an unlikely treatment method, it is now a common therapy for chronic pain. It can manage pain caused by many medical problems, including osteoarthritis, back injuries, fibromyalgia, and migraines. A practitioner inserts tiny needles into the skin at precise areas to stimulate muscles, nerves, and connective tissue.
- Stress management. Many healthcare professionals believe that relieving or managing stress can greatly minimize pain. You could try a relaxing massage, yoga, or breathing exercises. Some people will use a stress management approach along with acupuncture, chiropractic care, or another type of alternative medicine for more benefits.
An experienced doctor can evaluate your chronic pain condition and determine the available options for alternative therapy. Not every type of treatment is suitable for everyone. What might work for one person’s muscle pain, neck pain, or tension headaches might not work well for you.
Let Jersey Premier Pain Help Relieve Your Chronic Pain
The Jersey City pain management doctors of Jersey Premier Pain are a team of dedicated and compassionate physicians ready to provide the care you need to live a happier and healthier life. We understand the limitations placed on your life when you’re experiencing debilitating chronic pain. Our goal is to find the most effective treatment that minimizes your pain so you can get back to your regular routine.
Learn more about us and the services we offer by calling 201-386-8800 today.