Pain Management for Elizabeth, New Jersey
Roughly one in five U.S. adults suffers from chronic pain at any given moment. Many people have mild but persistent discomfort, while others endure agonizing pain that makes it impossible to move, work, or live independently. If physical pain is preventing you from living your best life, you may be wondering how you can reduce or eliminate the pain without narcotic drugs or expensive surgical procedures.
At Jersey Premier Pain, we offer alternative pain management services for all types of injuries and chronic conditions. We provide natural, therapeutic solutions to reduce pain and restore independence. Call us at 201-386-8800 or contact us online today to make an appointment or learn more about our offerings.
Common Causes of Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can accompany many different types of medical conditions. In some cases, the root cause of the pain is actually nerve damage from injury or inflammation. In other cases, metabolic illnesses can result in physical trauma that causes pain.
Here are some of the most common types of conditions and injuries we treat here at Jersey Premier Pain:
- Migraine headaches – A migraine is a common and severe type of headache with numerous potential causes. Many migraine sufferers experience intense throbbing or pulsing headaches, often on just one side of the head. Severe migraines can also result in nausea, dizziness, and sensitivity to light or sound.
- Fibromyalgia – Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder characterized by fatigue, difficulty sleeping, and musculoskeletal pain throughout the body. Although fibromyalgia patients commonly report feeling pain in their muscles, the generalized pain of fibromyalgia is often caused by nervous system trauma.
- Arthritis – Arthritis is a general term for swelling or stiffness in the joints, particularly joints in the knees, hips, back, and hands. When shock-absorbing cartilage in the joints becomes worn or damaged, moving the affected joints can result in pinched nerves and other types of painful inflammation.
- Cancers – When cancerous growths envelop the nerves or place pressure on nerve endings, patients can experience painful tenderness. Additionally, many cancer treatments actually increase the nervous system’s sensitivity, making even relatively mild pain difficult to endure.
- Traumatic injuries – Chronic pain is a common post-traumatic symptom that can linger for months or years after injury patients have otherwise recovered. Traumatic injuries resulting in chronic pain can occur due to motor vehicle collisions, occupational accidents, and slip and falls.
Alternative Pain Treatments
Many patients who suffer from chronic pain are prescribed a medley of pharmaceutical drugs or told that only surgery can provide lasting relief. While medications and surgeries are undoubtedly appropriate in certain medical situations, the team at Jersey Premier Pain prefers to exhaust all possible options before turning to drugs or scalpels.
Our facility can develop personalized treatment plans to decrease reliance on pain medications and, ideally, eliminate the need for surgery. We offer a range of alternative pain management services for patients with long-term or chronic pain, including:
- Chiropractic therapy – If muscle stiffness or poor alignment causes pain and restricted joint mobility, chiropractic care can relieve misalignment, improve circulation, and restore range of motion. Lack of mobility in muscles and joints can cut off blood supply, increasing inflammation and swelling. Chiropractors use hands-on spinal adjustment techniques to release tension and manage pain.
- Massage therapy – Our facility offers a variety of safe and effective massage therapies, ranging from light and gentle massages for pregnant women to deep-tissue massages for severe joint pain. Massage techniques are designed to relieve tension in muscles and joints, providing natural relief from chronic pain.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture is a traditional therapy that involves inserting thin, sterile needles into your skin at specific points throughout the body. Scientists aren’t completely sure why, but studies have confirmed that strategic stimulation of these points with acupuncture needles is effective for chronic pain relief.
Physical Therapy Services
Jersey Premier Pain also offers several specialized types of physical therapy to treat a variety of conditions. Our physical therapy offerings include:
- Pediatric physical therapy – Children with developmental delays and those who suffer physical injuries sometimes require therapeutic treatments to learn or relearn how to perform simple tasks. Our pediatric physical therapy team guides children through age-appropriate techniques to develop motor skills and adaptations that make daily activities manageable.
- Geriatric physical therapy – Our immune systems gradually become slower to respond as we age, so older adults often have a difficult time recovering from physical injuries and illnesses. When older patients suffer severe trauma, geriatric physical therapy can help them recover strength and coordination with careful, low-stress exercises. These customized techniques allow many elderly individuals to attain independence and improve their quality of life.
- Orthopedic physical therapy – When injury or surgery patients endure long recoveries, the subsequent immobilization or restricted use of certain body parts can result in muscular atrophy. When muscles atrophy, they decrease in size, which leaves patients with serious pain and difficulty moving. Orthopedic physical therapy is specifically suited to treat patients suffering from lost muscle strength.
- Cardiovascular and pulmonary physical therapy – Patients with serious cardiovascular or circulatory conditions can benefit from specialized physical therapy that promotes heart health and increases muscle endurance. Cardiovascular and pulmonary physical therapy techniques are excellent for protecting current health and promoting future independence.
- Neurological physical therapy – Together, our brains and spinal cords are the most essential components of our nervous systems. When patients suffer traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord injuries, loss of sensation and/or mobility can occur. Neurological physical therapy can help these patients regain mobility and quality of life with muscle stimulation and controlled movement techniques.
About the Jersey Premier Pain Team
At Jersey Premier Pain, we are committed to improving our patients’ quality of life by delivering compassionate and effective care. Our respected doctors are certified physical therapy and sports medicine practitioners with extensive knowledge of chiropractic and massage therapy techniques.
When you come to us seeking relief from chronic pain, our team can work with you on a personal level to identify your rehabilitative goals and develop a customized treatment plan geared toward the best possible outcome. We can give you the tools you need to increase your independence, regain control, and live with dignity.
Contact Jersey Premier Pain Today
When chronic pain prevents you from living the life you want, you can seek relief without resorting to pills or surgery. Call Jersey Premier Pain in Elizabeth, NJ at 201-386-8800 or contact us online to schedule an appointment and begin your journey towards healing.