Treating Arthritis Pain with Chiropractic Care at Jersey Premier Pain
Many people may think of arthritis as a common result of aging and just part of life in old age. While it is common in people of older age, it can affect almost anyone. Living with arthritis is uncomfortable, and for some, extremely painful.
Luckily, the Jersey City arthritis pain specialists at Jersey Premier Pain can help you relieve your arthritis pain so you can begin living a pain-free life. We offer various treatments that have helped arthritis patients say goodbye to their pain. One available treatment option that has worked wonders for treating arthritis pain is chiropractic care. If you’re ready to reduce your arthritis pain and get your body back to feeling its best, call us today at 201-386-8800 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.
When you experience arthritis pain, you feel it in the joints of your body. Arthritis causes your joints to become inflamed and swell. Your affected joints may ache or become stiff and rigid. Your mobility, flexibility, and strength may be impacted by arthritis.
Types of Arthritis
There are two types of arthritis that people commonly suffer from: osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Osteoarthritis causes the tissue between the joints, called cartilage, to deteriorate. When this tissue begins to deteriorate, instead of your joints being protected by this tissue when you’re moving, your joints are instead rubbing against each other. This is damaging to your joints and causes you pain and reduces your mobility.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder. Autoimmune disorders are diseases in which the immune system attacks various parts of the body, and rheumatoid arthritis is no different. The immune system attacks the joints, causing joint swelling and pain.
In addition to osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, other common forms of arthritis include:
- Gout – inflammation of joints throughout the body
- Septic arthritis – infection of the joint by germs
- Psoriatic arthritis – joint pain caused by psoriasis
- Ankylosing spondylitis – inflammation of the spine
- Reactive arthritis – inflammation of the joints caused by inflammation from elsewhere in the body, such as the urinary tract, intestines, or reproductive organs
Common Diseases and Conditions That Can Cause Arthritis Pain
Arthritis can be linked to several health issues and chronic diseases, including:
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Sleep apnea
- Blood clots
- Cardiovascular disease
You can also have certain factors that increase the risk of developing arthritis, such as:
- Obesity – The more weight we place on our bones and joints, the harder they have to work to carry our bodies around. Increased weight can increase your risk of developing arthritis.
- Genetics – You can be genetically predisposed to arthritis. This is particularly true of people who have a family history of autoimmune disease.
- Sex – It’s well-documented in medical research and in the medical community that men and women suffer in larger numbers from certain types of arthritis. For example, gout is more common in men, rheumatoid arthritis is more common in women.
- Age – The older our bones and joints get, the more wear and tear they are subjected to. People of older age are also more susceptible to developing arthritis.
- History of injuries – If you have a history of injuries, particularly bone or joint injuries, you may be more prone to developing arthritis at the site of that injury.
Treating Arthritis Pain with Chiropractic Care
Fortunately, you don’t have to live with untreated arthritis pain forever. You may be able to relieve quite a bit of your arthritis pain with chiropractic care.
Chiropractic care is based on holistic alternative methods of medicine and consists of adjustments to the musculoskeletal system. Chiropractors use different techniques to properly align the spine and neck so that your body can function better. Chiropractic care can relieve joint, bone, and muscle pain by increasing blood flow throughout the body which can contribute to greatly reducing pain.
Chiropractors receive years of specialized training to properly and safely administer adjustments to patients for maximum pain relief.
Types of Chiropractic Treatments
There are various techniques that chiropractors utilize to best address patients’ needs and to help resolve their pain. Common chiropractic techniques include:
- Spinal traction – With the use of traction devices, chiropractors apply tension directly to the bones and joints of the spine to ease the pressure on them to relieve the pain.
- Spinal manipulation – Gentle, moderated movements to realign the vertebrae of the spine. This is one of the more gentle techniques.
- Direct thrust – This may be one of the more commonly seen techniques that many people think about when they consider seeing a chiropractor. This technique involves the chiropractor using their body to apply a direct amount of force, or thrust, to realign the vertebrae in the spine. Chiropractors may use their hands or a specially designed device to apply the necessary pressure to your bones and joints.
- Gonstead adjustment – This unique technique is done while the patient is sitting up and is used to correct misaligned discs in the neck and back.
- Thompson drop table – With the use of a table specifically designed for chiropractic use, a chiropractor uses the “drop” features of the table (sections of the table that the patient lies on drop down) to apply pressure to the bones and joints to realign the vertebrae of the spine.
Why Jersey Premier Pain Is the Place to Go for Managing Pain
At Jersey Premier Pain, we understand that when our patients visit us it’s because they’re in need. We strive to provide excellent service to each and every patient that walks through our doors. We meet you with compassion and the determination to help you reach the goal you deserve: increased quality of life. We prioritize the needs of our patients and have built our reputation on providing safe, effective pain treatment options and world-class patient care.
Call Us for Help
If you’re living with arthritis pain, relief is within reach at Jersey Premier Pain. We provide effective treatment options for relieving arthritis pain, including chiropractic care. To schedule an appointment with one of our experienced pain specialists, call us today at 201-386-8800 or contact us online.