Jersey City Arthritis Pain Treatment
There are more than 100 different types of arthritis, and arthritis pain comes in many forms. It can affect various areas of your body and last for a brief period of time, only to reoccur later, or cause continuous, lasting pain. Jersey Premier Pain provides pain management services to alleviate your symptoms so you can start living your life again.
Arthritis most generally refers to joint pain or a disease that affects the health of the joints. Two of the most common types of arthritis – osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis – affect the joints in different ways.
Osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative arthritis, is a result of the cartilage breaking down in your joints over time, due to wear and tear. It may occur in one joint or many.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder in which the body’s immune system attacks healthy tissue in your joints, specifically a membrane – called the synovial membrane – that surrounds and protects the joints. Over time, rheumatoid arthritis can harm your joints’ cartilage and bones.
No matter what type of arthritis you have, or whether your pain is mild, moderate, or severe, an effective, integrated arthritis treatment plan can not only alleviate your joint pain, it can strengthen and improve the overall function of your joints. The pain management specialists at Jersey Premier Pain understand arthritis pain and have improved numerous patients’ lives by reducing or eliminating their pain so they can feel better, sleep better, and live better.
The Origin of Arthritis Pain
Most pain associated with arthritis arise from at least one of the following:
- Inflammation: Pressure placed on nerves within and around the joints because of swelling.
- Joint damage: Damage to joint tissues, nerves, or surrounding tissue from an injury or chronic inflammation.
- Pain sensitization: After experiencing prolonged pain, the body can send signals to the brain even after the origin of the pain subsides.
Various factors contribute to how you experience arthritis pain. If you suffer from other medical conditions or live a particular lifestyle, the adverse effects of your arthritis could increase. Following are factors that could negatively impact your joint pain:
- Physical activity: Excessive or insufficient physical activity could result in joint strain.
- Muscle tension: Stress, poor posture, and many other causes could lead to tense muscles.
- Fatigue: Lack of mobility, consistently managing pain, and poor sleep could negatively impact a person’s ability to cope.
- Anxiety or depression: Your perception of pain could become skewed because of a psychological issue and affect your ability to handle your situation.
- Focusing on the pain: An individual who focuses on the pain too much could increase their sensitivity to it and interfere with coping mechanisms.
- Social environment and support: Anyone lacking the help of family and friends experiences overwhelming feelings and suffer more from the pain.
Any of the factors listed above can influence your pain and prolong or amplify it. Addressing any of those issues could help you find some relief.
Pain Management Strategies
When you’re discussing your pain management plan, it’s essential to consider every option available to you. Some work immediately, while others take time.
The most effective treatment for arthritis pain include:
- Physical therapy
- Chiropractic care
- Massage therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Heat and cold packs
- Following a healthy diet plan
- Getting plenty of exercise
- Visiting a pain management clinic
Besides the pain itself, arthritis can cause additional problems that affect your life. There are specific measures you can take to remain healthy and alleviate your pain. Along with consistent treatment, try to follow the tips below:
- Don’t smoke: Smoking causes inflammation, which could complicate your arthritis and lead to increased pain.
- Be conscious of how you use your joints: Try to reduce the amount of stress you put on your joints by adjusting your daily tasks, such as how you pick up items and turn the knob on a door.
- Seek emotional support: Join a support group, attend professional counseling, or lean on your family and friends to alleviate the stress associated with arthritis pain.
- Practice deep breathing exercises: Deep breathing and relaxation techniques help you to feel more at ease and take your mind off of the pain you’re experiencing.
- Stay rested: Resting and getting enough sleep every night are essential to your overall health and happiness. It reduces stress levels, relaxes muscles, and combats fatigue.
How Jersey Premier Pain Can Help You
Choosing the right pain management clinic and treatment method can seem like a daunting task. You want to make sure you see someone who specializes in arthritis pain and understands how to alleviate it. If you go to someone inexperienced, you could end up spending time and money on strategies that don’t help or do more harm than good.
Jersey Premier Pain knows that no two patients are alike. Arthritis pain might be debilitating for one person, but tolerable for another. After conducting a thorough evaluation, we will come up with the best treatment plan that meets your individual needs.
Living with pain day in and day out is exhausting, stressful, and upsetting. It affects your job, relationships, and ability to perform basic tasks. It’s our goal to find the source of your arthritis pain and help manage your symptoms.
We serve patients throughout Jersey City and aim to provide quality care in a comfortable environment. We’re happy to schedule an initial appointment to discuss your condition and determine the best course of treatment for your arthritis. Call us at 201-386-8800 today.