There are more than 100 types of arthritis, and arthritis pain comes in many forms. It can affect various areas of your body and last briefly, only to reoccur later or cause continuous, lasting pain. Jersey Premier Pain provides pain management services to alleviate your symptoms so you can start living your life again.
Arthritis most generally refers to joint pain or a disease that affects the health of the joints. Two of the most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. These conditions affect the joints in different ways.
Osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis is from the cartilage in your joints breaking down due to wear and tear. It may occur in one joint or many.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder in which the body’s immune system attacks healthy joint tissue. Specifically, this condition affects the synovial membrane, which surrounds and protects the joints. Over time, rheumatoid arthritis can harm your joints’ cartilage and bones.
No matter what type of arthritis you have, or the severity of your pain, an effective, integrated arthritis treatment plan is essential. A good plan can alleviate your joint pain by strengthening and improving the overall function of your joints.
The pain management specialists at Jersey Premier Pain understand arthritis pain. We have improved numerous patients’ lives by reducing or eliminating their pain so they can feel, sleep, and live better.
The Origin of Arthritis Pain
Most pain associated with arthritis arises from at least one of the following:
- Inflammation: Pressure placed on nerves within and around the joints because of swelling.
- Joint damage: Damage to joint tissues, nerves, or surrounding tissue from an injury or chronic inflammation.
- Pain sensitization: After prolonged pain, the body can send signals to the brain even after the origin of the pain subsides.
Various factors contribute to how you experience arthritis pain. If you suffer from other medical conditions, the adverse effects of your arthritis could increase. Any of the following factors could negatively affect your joints and cause pain:
- Physical activity: Excessive or insufficient physical activity could result in joint strain.
- Muscle tension: Stress, poor posture, and many other causes could lead to tense muscles.
- Fatigue: Lack of mobility, consistently managing pain, and poor sleep could negatively impact a person’s coping ability.
- Anxiety or depression: Your perception of pain could become skewed because of a psychological issue.
- Focusing on the pain: An individual who focuses heavily on their pain can increase their sensitivity.
- Social environment and support: Those lacking support are more likely to feel overwhelmed and suffer more pain.
Any of these factors can influence your pain and prolong or amplify it. Addressing any of those issues could help you find some relief.
Pain Management Strategies
When you’re discussing your pain management plan, it’s essential to consider every option available to you. Some work immediately, while others take time.
The most effective treatments for arthritis pain often include:
- Physical therapy
- Chiropractic care
- Massage therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Heat and cold packs
- Following a healthy diet plan
- Getting plenty of exercise
- Visiting a pain management clinic
Besides physical pain, arthritis can cause additional problems that affect your life. You can take specific measures to remain healthy and alleviate your pain. Along with consistent treatment, you can follow these pain management tips:
- Don’t smoke: Smoking causes inflammation, which could complicate your arthritis and increase pain.
- Be conscious of how you use your joints: Try to reduce the stress you put on them by adjusting your daily tasks. This might include picking up items or turning the knob on a door.
- Seek emotional support: Join a support group, attend professional counseling, or lean on your family and friends. A good support system can alleviate the stress associated with arthritis pain.
- Practice deep breathing exercises: Deep breathing and relaxation techniques help you to feel more at ease. They also take your mind off any pain you experience.
- Stay rested: Resting and getting enough sleep every night are essential to your overall health and happiness. It reduces stress levels, relaxes muscles, and combats fatigue.
How Jersey Premier Pain Can Help You
Choosing the right pain management clinic and treatment method can seem daunting. You want to see someone who specializes in arthritis pain and understands how to alleviate it. If you go to someone inexperienced, you could spend time and money on strategies that don’t help or do more harm than good. Jersey Premier Pain knows no two patients are alike. Arthritis pain might be debilitating for one person but tolerable for another. After a thorough evaluation, we can develop the best treatment plan that meets your needs.
Living with pain day in and day out is exhausting, stressful, and upsetting. It affects your job, relationships, and ability to perform basic tasks. It’s our goal to find the source of your arthritis pain and help manage your symptoms. We serve patients throughout Jersey City and aim to provide quality care in a comfortable environment. We’re happy to schedule an initial appointment to discuss your condition and determine the best course of treatment. Call us at 201-386-8800 today.